This baked oatmeal is gluten free and delicious! Special thanks to my friend Mary for sharing this recipe as adapted from www.ambitiouskitchen.com It makes the perfect, healthy after school snack, special breakfast or any time treat.
One of the great things about baked oatmeal is that it’s delicious served many different ways:
- Serve it warm with maple syrup drizzled on top.
- Add a dollop of almond or peanut butter for extra flavor (and a boost of protein!)
- Enjoy warm and pour some milk right over the top just like cereal. The milk becomes like chocolate milk thanks to the chocolate chips!
Here is what you’ll need…
- Wet ingredients:
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ⅓ cups mashed ripe banana)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ⅔ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus 2 extra tablespoons for topping
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips plus a little extra for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla, coconut milk and maple syrup until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients: oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix until combined, then fold in shredded coconut, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth top. Sprinkle with reserved shredded coconut and chocolate chips. Bake for 35-45 mins or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Top with extra banana slices, a drizzle of maple syrup and chopped walnuts.
You could easily modify this recipe to use your favorite nuts or add raisins or dried cranberries. I am usually not a fan of coconut or plain oatmeal, but the natural sweetness from the banana and syrup really kick it up a notch!
If you give this recipe a try, leave a comment below…
Thanks for being here!
Leave a Reply